Parenting: Scooters before bikes
March 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Now that spring is finally here, many parents may be faced with the daunting challenge of trying to teach their child to ride a bike... and it can be an experience that's more painful than pleasurable (especially for the parent).
Well here's a tip that has helped many youngsters learn to ride a bike faster. Let them learn to ride a scooter first.
My son Nicholas has a razor scooter that he can't get enough of. For many children, riding one is a good way to learn balance in a safer and controlled way, before graduating to a bicycle. And many parents have found that there was less fear for the child in learning to ride a bike, and in fact they tend to learn faster.
The beauty of the scooter is that kids feel so much more in control, and they can usually catch themselves if they start to fall. As one parent told me, "It's a real confidence booster, and seems to take much of the trauma out of finally learning to ride a bike."
So give the scooter a try, but also take into account some safety tips:
- 1. Make sure the scooter is age appropriate for the child. If it's too large, he or she will have trouble operating it, which could cause frustration or lead to accidents.
2. A helmet is always recommended, and elbow and knee pads might not be a bad idea either starting off.
3. Proper shoes should be worn, ideally sneakers. Sandals or flip-flops may upset the child's balance, and may cause injuries to their feet if they hop off quickly.
4. Be aware of uneven ground surfaces - they can make for dangerous riding conditions.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 6 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 4 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
6 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
4 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
2 min ago