Parenting: Baggy jeans... really?
April 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- I guess it had to happen sooner or later - my 9 year-old son has developed a fashion sense that I'm not too sure I agree with.
Specifically speaking: baggy jeans. Not the kind that hang down below your boxers, but baggy enough.
It seems like it was just yesterday when Nicholas would put on anything I would select for him for school. But now he's deciding for himself, and as a parent, I have to figure out where to draw the line between letting him assert his independence, or allow him to go to school looking sloppy.
Well what I've learned from many experts is that pre-teen boys, like my son, are searching for an identity, amidst a social landscape of peer pressure... and for many parents it can be perplexing if we're not prepared for the changes in their behavior. It can feel like we're somehow losing control.
There's a book by author Bonnie Harris called "When Your Kids Push Your Buttons", and in it she says we as parents should expect our buttons to be pushed at times by our pre-teens. They're not always going to listen and do exactly what we want them to.
So expect the unexpected and try to understand why your child is behaving in a certain way. It will make life a lot easier and perhaps avoid those verbal confrontations that tend to pop up at times. It was especially helpful for me with Nicholas and the baggy jeans and skull and crossbones t-shirts. Instead of voicing disapproval, I realize that's what his friends are also wearing, and they're all good kids.
So what the heck?
Just make sure the jeans stay above the waistline please.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 33 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Flames spread through house in Egg Harbor 12 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game 28 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
33 min ago
- Flames spread through house in Egg Harbor
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos