Parenting: Off-Season at the Shore
April 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- With Luke and Emma being on spring break and a one-day surge of summerlike-warmth, my husband suggested we all head to the Jersey Shore for a day.
Since, I'm working this week, it was just 1/2 day for me, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play with my family on the beach and boardwalk.
I have to admit, we prefer the shore during the off-season. Sure, the weather can be great during the summer, but it can get crowded. We really enjoy feeling like we have the place to ourselves this time of year, even if we have to bundle up in sweats along the beach. Today, Luke and Emma biked along the beach path, encountering very few other cyclists. They had the run of every playground. The boardwalk rides weren't open, but there were just enough stores along the boardwalk for a little "treasure hunting."
I had to tear myself away shortly after lunch to get back to work on time. As I'm writing this blog, Greg, Luke and Emma are probably running along the surf, getting sand between their toes. They'll bathe, eat at a local diner and drive home tonight after the evening rush hour. I'm sure Luke and Emma will be fast asleep by the time they get back, exhausted from their day of fun in the sun. I can't wait to get the play-by-play tomorrow.
What a day!
Happy parenting. Cecily
cecily tynan parenting reports, holidays, parenting, cecily tynan
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 36 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 9 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 29 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom