Parenting: Adding routine to get your toddler brushing
April 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A short while ago I wrote about the travails of getting a toddler to brush his teeth.
The advice I got and passed on was to keep at it, that baby had to have his teeth brushed and would eventually come around. But I started to doubt it as the daily battles continued, especially in the morning.
A few weeks ago, I had to put on more makeup than usual to cover a scratch on my nose, given out by a flailing baby trying to get away from me and the toothbrush.
But it has been worth the effort.
Urged on somewhat by fun songs at his nursery and on children's television about brushing his teeth, our little guy is finally coming around. Also helpful: the fact that the toothpaste has pictures of Thomas the Tank Engine ("Choo-choo!") and Elmo on them. He insists on holding the tubes as I brush his teeth and taking them into the bath. At the end of the bath, he tells them goodbye and puts them in the sink.
Your child may have some other ritual that helps them turn the corner. So along with passing along this update also wanted to pass along some tips on getting toddlers to brush. Check out this good coaching page from BabyCenter.
tamala edwards parenting reports, parenting, tamala edwards
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013 12 min ago