Cecily visits mother of two Erin O'Hearn
May 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Mother of two, Erin O'Hearn, admits, with nearly two-year-old Sienna, the addition of baby Sebastian came with more than double the challenge.
Erin explained the balancing act by saying, "One is one, and two is ten... and I really think that is true."
Erin tried to keep things simple while preparing Sienna for her baby brother's arrival.
"We bought her a couple of big sister books, and we said, you know, in a few weeks we're going to have a new member of our family. And we told her his name, because we knew it was going to be a boy. So, we just kind of got her excited about it."
Erin says the best thing she did is bring Sebastian home from the hospital with a gift for Sienna: her very own baby doll.
"So whenever I have to change Sebastian, or feed him, I say, 'Go get Grace, she's hungry,' or 'she needs to be changed.' And she is so attached to that baby doll. And I think it makes her feel more included and it keeps her occupied when I can't give her 100-percent of my attention."
Experts advise putting off other changes, like potty training, until your child can adjust to her new sibling. And, don't be surprised if your older child lapses back into being a baby on occasion, like wanted to be held a lot.
Erin explains, "She always says, 'Mommy's lap. Mommy's lap.' And it's hard for me to explain to her, you can't sit on my lap but he can. So that's been a little bit of a challenge."
When my husband and I first brought our daughter Emma home, we let big brother Luke give his baby sister her first bottle. I'm inviting viewers to share their experiences on bringing a new baby home, just go to my Facebook page, press like and share your memories.
cecily tynan parenting reports, holidays, parenting, cecily tynan
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 48 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 30 min ago
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
48 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
30 min ago