Parenting: The Importance of Roughhousing
May 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- There's a new book out that some parents may find a bit controversial, but I found rather interesting. It's called "The Art of Roughhousing" by Larry Cohen, a psychologist, and Anthony DeBenedet, a physician.
In the book, they point out the importance of wrestling and roughing it up with your children - from pillow fights to floor wrestling.
It may sound shocking to some, but for a father like me whose 9-year-old son likes to pretend he's with the WWF, it's a provocative concept.
In the book, the authors claim our children have become sedentary, even lazy, thanks in part to television and video games.
And they cite research that says roughhousing with your child has a number of benefits, besides simply getting them off the couch and doing something physical and fun.
According to the book, roughhousing also promotes social skills, by teaching kids how to participate in a good-natured "give-and-take". Certain types of horseplay can also help children develop coordination, motor learning, concentration, flexibility and cardiovascular strength, according to the authors.
What I've found when roughhousing with my son, is that it always induces laughter - no matter what type of day either one of us has had.
Certainly there are plenty of ways to have fun with your child, but if this is one way they want to bond with you, then why not?
I just hope my back doesn't give out!
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 56 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 33 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
56 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
51 min ago