Parenting: The Importance of Roughhousing
May 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- There's a new book out that some parents may find a bit controversial, but I found rather interesting. It's called "The Art of Roughhousing" by Larry Cohen, a psychologist, and Anthony DeBenedet, a physician.
In the book, they point out the importance of wrestling and roughing it up with your children - from pillow fights to floor wrestling.
It may sound shocking to some, but for a father like me whose 9-year-old son likes to pretend he's with the WWF, it's a provocative concept.
In the book, the authors claim our children have become sedentary, even lazy, thanks in part to television and video games.
And they cite research that says roughhousing with your child has a number of benefits, besides simply getting them off the couch and doing something physical and fun.
According to the book, roughhousing also promotes social skills, by teaching kids how to participate in a good-natured "give-and-take". Certain types of horseplay can also help children develop coordination, motor learning, concentration, flexibility and cardiovascular strength, according to the authors.
What I've found when roughhousing with my son, is that it always induces laughter - no matter what type of day either one of us has had.
Certainly there are plenty of ways to have fun with your child, but if this is one way they want to bond with you, then why not?
I just hope my back doesn't give out!
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 43 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
43 min ago