Parenting: The Importance of Roughhousing
May 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- There's a new book out that some parents may find a bit controversial, but I found rather interesting. It's called "The Art of Roughhousing" by Larry Cohen, a psychologist, and Anthony DeBenedet, a physician.
In the book, they point out the importance of wrestling and roughing it up with your children - from pillow fights to floor wrestling.
It may sound shocking to some, but for a father like me whose 9-year-old son likes to pretend he's with the WWF, it's a provocative concept.
In the book, the authors claim our children have become sedentary, even lazy, thanks in part to television and video games.
And they cite research that says roughhousing with your child has a number of benefits, besides simply getting them off the couch and doing something physical and fun.
According to the book, roughhousing also promotes social skills, by teaching kids how to participate in a good-natured "give-and-take". Certain types of horseplay can also help children develop coordination, motor learning, concentration, flexibility and cardiovascular strength, according to the authors.
What I've found when roughhousing with my son, is that it always induces laughter - no matter what type of day either one of us has had.
Certainly there are plenty of ways to have fun with your child, but if this is one way they want to bond with you, then why not?
I just hope my back doesn't give out!
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 13 min ago
- Temps Soar 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 16 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 31 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 33 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 23 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
29 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
13 min ago