Parenting: 'Take pictures. Take A LOT of pictures'
July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- There I was, preparing to interview a newsmaker for Inside Story. It was before Father's Day.
Without identifying who the newsmaker was (this is not about politics, of course), let's just say he is a middle-aged legislator from our area.
Before conducting our interviews on the weekly political show, I like to talk casually with the newsmaker. What did you do this week? How do you feel about (insert recent political event here)? And the one that always gets them going: Do you have any children?
No matter whom it is, the newsmaker immediately begins raving about his or her child/children. But this time, this particular individual had some advice.
"Take pictures. Take A LOT of pictures. It goes so fast."
And when he said that, there was no element of regret in his eyes. Or sadness. It was all pride.
This particular legislator made sure that he documented at least some of the myriad of moments that took place before his eyes, and then immediately became memories of the past.
We had our interview, I wished the legislator a happy Father's Day, and he left the studio.
And then I thought about what he said.
First of all, the best parenting advice I ever get is usually the most simplistic. And it is usually pretty obvious. But sometimes, it takes someone else to make us see what is right in front of us.
I have been taking more pictures of my children than usual. And being indicative of the times we are in, I am making sure that these photos (all digital) are getting backed up so they don't disappear in some huge solar storm, data breach, computer failure, etc.
I don't necessarily look at these photos all that much, because that would take away from the time I can spend with my children now. And that's the point. They are home now. I can watch them grow before my eyes. And one day, they will leave. And I won't see them as often. And I will be sad.
But I'll have some pictures to remember how they grew up to be such wonderful adults.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 57 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting 46 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 3 min ago
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly...
3 min ago