Parenting: No Nap = No Sanity!
July 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- By any chance did you see a screaming, out of control toddler on the beach being dragged around by a frazzled, out of control mother? Yep, that was me - again!
My little guy turns 4 this fall and much to my horror, he's transitioning out of his nap. My kids always napped until they went to first grade! I know that seems late too many, but I found that my kids were better behaved, and happier in general, when they took a nap in the afternoon.
I'm really in a dilemma now. My son still desperately needs a nap or he'll be irritable the rest of the afternoon. But, he wants to be a big kid and doesn't like the idea of naps. In addition, I find it's just plain difficult to schedule a nap when we're busy in the summer.
I was surprised to read on parenting.com that children between the ages of 3 and 4 do grow out of naps. I thought that seemed a bit young. I found plenty of moms online complaining about the same issue I'm facing. While there doesn't seem to be one particular answer, I did like one of the blogs on ohbabyblogger that suggested even if your toddler won't nap, you put your child in his room for a little quiet play time. I think that might be just enough "time out" for both of us!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 10 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos