Parenting: National Sister's Day
August 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- National Sister's Day is Sunday, August 7. It's a day (no doubt created by the card industry!) to celebrate the union between sisters.
I have blogged often about the tight relationship I have with my five sisters and my fervent hope that my girls will be just as close. I've had many discussions with my girls about the importance of loving your sister, but I've always wondered if I'm doing enough and what exactly creates that tight bond.
Yesterday, I took my children to lunch with my mom, Aunt Maryann, and 3 of my sisters to celebrate a collection of birthdays. It was a beautiful afternoon. It wasn't until I looked at the photos this morning that I realized the answer to my nagging question was right in front of my face. How do you encourage a close bond between your daughters? Simply, live the example you want to set.
I took a sweet photo of a wonderful and wise pair of sisters: my aunt and my mom. They lived through good times and bad and shared every moment together. Now as they're aging, they don't miss a beat. They can still complete each others' thoughts and relax in the comfort of knowing they will never face any of life's challenges alone. Without ever needing to preach, my mother and Aunt Maryanne taught us how to be supportive and loving sisters. I'd like to think that gift has already been passed down to my girls.
Check out this sweet article on sisters and some tips on maintaining your relationship with your sisters.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No cheer uniforms for North Philadelphia Aztec squad 50 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting 59 min ago
- 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting
59 min ago
- Firefighters battle Hunting Park blaze
54 min ago