Getting their hair ready for school!
August 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's time to think about shaking the sand off the kids' hair and getting them ready to go back to school!
In this economy, many parents are opting to skip a haircut, or two for the kids. For girls who are trying to grow their long hair, it makes even less sense to run to the salon for a simple trim. So, we have great step by step instructions from a pro!!
I visited one of my favorite salons, Salon 14 North in Haddonfield, NJ. I love that the owner has a resume as long as your arm, but he's not afraid to offer some advice to help his clients save some money! Russ Razzi says that parents can give their kids a trim at home and save some money. He does not recommend changing their look or style on your own.
Russ suggests you begin by adding some conditioner to a water bottle and spraying the hair. This will keep the hair together and make it easier to cut a straight line. Start with the bang. Do not cut the hair directly against the skin. Instead, hold the hair between your fingers and snip at it vertically. This will create a stylish, more forgiving line.
Separate the hair and begin cutting the length. Use your fingers as a guide, but take the scissors horizontally and cut a straight line. Continue with every section. After the hair has been trimmed, you can "under cut" the very bottom layer for a professional look. Take a small layer underneath and cut it ¼ of an inch shorter than the rest of the length. This will allow the hair to lay beautifully.
While I was at the salon, Russ taught Vicky Olsen how to cut her daughters' hair. The West Berlin mom said she's had some bad experiences trying to cut hair in the past. But after following Russ' expert advice, she did a great job, saying it was much easier than she thought!
Check out the video for step by step instructions!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 15 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 10 min ago
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 19 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 3 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 9 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor 49 min ago
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth 39 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
15 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
19 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
3 min ago