Parenting: Going to work with dad
August 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- This past saturday, I filled in for my colleague, weekend anchor Rob Jennings, and Nicholas had to come to work with me.
He certainly didn't mind--after all it had been awhile since he last visited our newsroom - and he always seemed to be extremely excited about sitting in the studio and watching dad.
Boy have things changed!
As we walked into the building, my 9 year-old says to me: "Dad can I sit in your cubicle while you're on the news?" My response: "I thought you liked sitting in the studio and watching the news?" His response: "N, h it's a little boring."
I was a little taken aback but, after giving it some thought, I realized, yes it is probably a bit boring to sit still for a half-hour, if you're 9 years-old. That is, unless you're watching the Disney Channel or Cartoon Network. But I also found out something more during Nicholas' visit to my job.
He really enjoyed sitting at my newsroom desk, at my cubicle and, perhaps, pretending to be an employee. Whether it was surfing websites on my desktop, or looking through my rolodex, it was a lot more exciting for my son than sitting in the studio like a statue.
Sometimes what we may think is exciting for our children is usually just the opposite and what's more, the simplest things like sitting at dad's desk can be the most exhilarating.
Sitting at my desk, apparently, gave Nicholas an opportunity to see me in a different light. And I must admit it was fun for me seeing how comfortable he was in my cubicle.
Nicholas has said he doesn't think he'll be a news anchor when he grows up--or a physician (my wife's profession). But he does want to sit at a desk--that much is for sure. Now we just need to find the right desk job. Fortunately we've got plenty of time.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos