Parenting: New guy at school
September 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Speaking from experiencing this as a one-time youngster myself, and as a dad of two children who moved to a new school, it is really rough to be the new guy. No question.
Nowadays I've heard of teachers and administrators being proactive in making sure a child who doesn't know a soul at his or her school feels comfortable and meets new friends.
Here is what you can do as a parent.
1. Talk about it. Address it directly. Ask your child: Are you scared? Are you nervous? And then, is there anything I can do?
2. Talk to your child's teacher. Make sure that teacher knows a new child is coming into the classroom. And hopefully that teacher will break the ice.
3. Join your child at the bus stop on the first day. Even if he or she is older (as I was going into my sophomore year of high school being the new kid) it still feels good to have mom and/or dad nearby as you head off for that first day. I remember attempting to "man up," but being pretty scared!
4. Don't express concerns if your child doesn't hit it off with anyone on that first day. If you start doubting your child, he or she will have even greater doubts.
5. Talk about it when he or she gets home.
I also found some advice for children to use themselves when they experience that dreaded first day in a new school. This link offers some pretty good tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_2383968_handle-being-new-kid-school.html
Most importantly, try to have fun. Once your child is settled in, this day will seem like it was a real cinch!
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed