Parenting: Teaching math the tasty way
September 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- My 9-year-old son Nicholas enjoys helping out in the kitchen, especially when my wife is baking something yummy like an apple pie (so do I). But little does he know he's actually practicing his math skills while helping.
The various steps to baking or cooking involve fractions, measurements and ratios in a hands-on, real world context.
Our kitchen instantly becomes a 4th grade classroom, whether my kid realizes it or not.
Most experts will tell you that baking is an opportunity for education. Recipes and ingredients encourage reading, figuring out measurements, and following directions. And when something is in the oven, there's also the importance of time management.
It can be an everyday teaching activity - and don't forget the fun of eating the finished product. That's where I come in.
And then there's the issue of healthy eating. Studies have shown that children who help out in the kitchen are more likely to try new foods... and not to mention that a family that cooks together, usually sits down to eat together.
What we have seen in our house is that our child really feels like he is accomplishing something and making a contribution by helping out in the kitchen. And that goes a long way to promoting a healthy self-esteem.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal 28 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 47 min ago
- No cheer uniforms for North Philadelphia Aztec squad 35 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico 50 min ago
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting 44 min ago
- 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting
44 min ago
- Firefighters battle Hunting Park blaze
39 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
47 min ago