Parenting: The importance of outside play time
October 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- A recent study found that today's children have far less time to play than kids of 50 years ago, and it may impact their mental health and development.
Whether it's hide and go seek or climbing a tree, experts are urging today's parents to make sure children are spending time outside playing.
Certainly video games and television are two of the biggest culprits, but a hyper-vigilant parent may also be at fault.
Another reason why parents keep kids indoors? Fear of abduction, along with worries about bullying or playing in the street.
And while those fears may be legitimate, author Hara Estroff Marano says over-protective parents may create so-called "wimps", who are unable to cope with the ups and downs of life because they have no experience doing so. Marano's book by the way is called "A nation of wimps: The High Cost of Invasive Parenting".
Some health experts say parents who don't allow kids the freedom to play may be stunting their child's development.
When children are allowed to play, they make up games, negotiate rules and make sure others are playing fair. And experts say all of that helps to teach kids how to make decisions, solve problems, and gain self-control.
And hovering parents can also deprive their children of something else - fun and joy.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete 1 min ago
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall 9 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Butkovitz an early winner as Pa. primary ballots are tallied 51 min ago
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Man critically wounded by gunfire in Wilmington
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly...
1 min ago