Parenting: Shopping for a cause
November 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Every year I tell myself that Christmas will not get out of hand. With so many people hurting financially, I hate to waste money on tons of presents for my children, who don't really need anything. We talk a lot about helping other people during the holidays, and try to make it a fun family activity.
If you're taking the kids out shopping this holiday, Saint Joseph's University sociologist Keith Brown, Ph.D. says you can make a difference in the world while you shop. "Maybe most importantly, consumers want to be viewed as socially conscious. Objects that clearly signify that a person has donated to charity help mark the consumer as altruistic."
Brown says that it's a win/win situation because people feel good buying and receiving the gift. More and more people are looking to pay it forward. "The current recession coincided with an 'ethical turn' in the markets. More and more products are being sold that donate a portion of their proceeds to a charitable or ethical cause."
So, when you're shopping with the family. Dr. Brown suggests more and more people will be looking for a "Made in America", "Fair Trade" or "Eco-friendly" dimension to their gift. It might a nice way of turning yet another trip to the mall to a family learning and giving experience.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 52 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 9 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 18 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 55 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 21 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
21 min ago