Parenting: Thanksgiving with Diabetes
The night before Thanksgiving when I tucked the kids into bed, I asked them what they are thankful for. My daughter, Jennifer, quickly replied, "insulin".
She's a smart girl and has adapted so quickly to life as a Type 1 Diabetic. This was our first Thanksgiving with diabetes and I frankly wasn't sure what to expect.
Jen has a big sweet tooth and we usually have brownies and pies and corn muffins along with our Thanksgiving feast.
This year I spread the word to the visiting family not to bring any dessert. My plan was to have a simple pumpkin pie and give Jen a slice.
Of course, life doesn't go according to plan.
Someone brought a beautiful apple pie, complete with sugar crumbs on top. Jennifer really wanted to try it and foolishly, I didn't think to scrape the topping off.
Her sugar was off the rest of the night and it quickly affected her mood.
I know I can't control every dessert Jennifer encounters and I don't want her to feel like she's be punished by not indulging in a treat.
I think the only moral of the story is that life does not go according to plan.
Next time, I'll ask more questions about a dessert I didn't make and hope that Jennifer will learn to make better choices when she's older.
In the end, we are all thankful for insulin and hope someday we can say we're thankful for a cure.
karen rogers parenting reports, diabetes, parenting, karen rogers
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 11 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 19 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 39 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 40 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 25 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
11 min ago