Parenting: Do you have a favorite child?
December 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- If you have more than one child - do you have a favorite or do you subscribe to the notion that you "love each child equally?"
Live host Kelly Ripa and her husband, Mark Consuelos admitted to having a favorite and they say, they aren't alone.
Collen Lelli an assistant professor at Cabrini College says that may not necessarily be the case.
"You might like one stage over another or one age over another. At that point in their life, you might feel like they're your favorite, but in actuality it might be the age that you really like," she said.
Professor Lelli also says she is not surprised anyone would favor the youngest - they are usually the sweetest of your children.
One day, that youngest could become a testy teenager.
Kate Tiejte, a blogger for parenting site Babble.com, created an online uproar when she wrote an entire column about how she prefers her younger son over her older daughter.
Other parenting bloggers said Tiejte may have caused long-term harm for her daughter, and should have written her blog anonymously.
Professor Lelli advises, if you have a favorite child, keep it to yourself.
"I think that if, as long as you keep your emotions in check that will help keep your children's emotions in check and all will be well in your family," said Professor Lelli.
Professor Lelli has two children of her own. I put her to the test and asked which one was her favorite.
"Michael is 11-years-old and Juliana is 9-years-old. I do not have a favorite but it is very true that there are attributes that both hold, and there are characteristics that I do like differently," she said.
She says, you can love your children equally.
This topic lit up my Facebook page. When it comes to your children, do you pick favorites? Join in on the debate.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 55 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)