Parenting: Do you have a favorite child?
December 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- If you have more than one child - do you have a favorite or do you subscribe to the notion that you "love each child equally?"
Live host Kelly Ripa and her husband, Mark Consuelos admitted to having a favorite and they say, they aren't alone.
Collen Lelli an assistant professor at Cabrini College says that may not necessarily be the case.
"You might like one stage over another or one age over another. At that point in their life, you might feel like they're your favorite, but in actuality it might be the age that you really like," she said.
Professor Lelli also says she is not surprised anyone would favor the youngest - they are usually the sweetest of your children.
One day, that youngest could become a testy teenager.
Kate Tiejte, a blogger for parenting site Babble.com, created an online uproar when she wrote an entire column about how she prefers her younger son over her older daughter.
Other parenting bloggers said Tiejte may have caused long-term harm for her daughter, and should have written her blog anonymously.
Professor Lelli advises, if you have a favorite child, keep it to yourself.
"I think that if, as long as you keep your emotions in check that will help keep your children's emotions in check and all will be well in your family," said Professor Lelli.
Professor Lelli has two children of her own. I put her to the test and asked which one was her favorite.
"Michael is 11-years-old and Juliana is 9-years-old. I do not have a favorite but it is very true that there are attributes that both hold, and there are characteristics that I do like differently," she said.
She says, you can love your children equally.
This topic lit up my Facebook page. When it comes to your children, do you pick favorites? Join in on the debate.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 55 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
58 min ago