Parenting Perspective: The Reason for the Season
December 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Last weekend we showed up at church ten minutes late and had to stand in the back of the church near the entrance. The kids were easily distracted and by the end of mass I had them sitting in the corner! With the hustle and bustle of Christmas, it's easy to forget the "reason for the season". If I don't remember it, my kids don't stand a chance!
We have one last week to make it count and shift our focus to make this a season of giving. I browsed online and found a couple of simple tips on Littleones.com.
We have a library of special Christmas books, but somehow we did forget to take them out this year. The first tip was to read Christmas stories together. I'm going to start that tonight.
Another suggestion is to display a nativity with your holiday decorations. Just yesterday I overheard my son playing with the figures and it was sweet to see him talk about Jesus and Mary.
It's also suggested that you hand an Advent calendar and light the advent wreath together. We like to encourage good deeds during Advent and Littleones.com had a great suggestion for that. They suggest you make a family manger out of a shoe box and use "good deeds hay". Write a good deed on a strip of paper and use the paper to keep baby Jesus warm and cozy.
The last tip is to plan a father gathering. We have many of those, but this week we're going to start a new tradition and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" together. It seems like the perfect movie to help take the focus off of presents and on values.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, christmas, holidays, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 30 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos