Parenting Perspective: The Reason for the Season
December 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Last weekend we showed up at church ten minutes late and had to stand in the back of the church near the entrance. The kids were easily distracted and by the end of mass I had them sitting in the corner! With the hustle and bustle of Christmas, it's easy to forget the "reason for the season". If I don't remember it, my kids don't stand a chance!
We have one last week to make it count and shift our focus to make this a season of giving. I browsed online and found a couple of simple tips on Littleones.com.
We have a library of special Christmas books, but somehow we did forget to take them out this year. The first tip was to read Christmas stories together. I'm going to start that tonight.
Another suggestion is to display a nativity with your holiday decorations. Just yesterday I overheard my son playing with the figures and it was sweet to see him talk about Jesus and Mary.
It's also suggested that you hand an Advent calendar and light the advent wreath together. We like to encourage good deeds during Advent and Littleones.com had a great suggestion for that. They suggest you make a family manger out of a shoe box and use "good deeds hay". Write a good deed on a strip of paper and use the paper to keep baby Jesus warm and cozy.
The last tip is to plan a father gathering. We have many of those, but this week we're going to start a new tradition and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" together. It seems like the perfect movie to help take the focus off of presents and on values.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, christmas, holidays, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 15 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 2 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 2 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 7 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 11 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 41 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos