Parenting: Please dad, don't help with the dishes
February 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- The title alone may have you scratching your head already. And if you are a dad yourself, maybe you are already preparing to tell your wife "You see, honey, me doing nothing is actually benefiting this family!"
PschyCentral.com reported a study published in the Journal of Developmental Psychology this month. It puts more credence into the idea that moms and dads have very different roles, and problems can emerge when the parents try to share in their child-raising duties.
Dr. Sarah Schoppe-Sullivan, an associate professor of Child Development at Ohio State University, found that when dads play with their children, their children benefit.
Duh, right? Well, there's more.
The professor also found that when dads try to pitch in with some of the duties that moms tend to carry out, like bathing and preparing meals, this creates problems and more conflict between spouses.
Schoppe-Sullivan analyzed 112 couples in the Midwest, all of whom had a four-year-old child. The findings, according to the professor, prove that a family needs to have specific roles for each parent.
Sharing them can sometimes lead to confusion and disagreements over how certain tasks are performed and completed. Those disagreements can weigh on the child.
So no work and all play makes for a happy dad, a happy mom, and a happy child? And we should all subscribe to gender-based stereotypes when it comes to raising a family?
The professor says so, but she also acknowledges that this may not be possible in some families, especially when moms are the ones with the full-time job and the dads stay home.
Generally Schoppe-Sullivan says, parental duty-sharing is not always the best when it comes to raising a child.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 36 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 8 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
11 min ago