Parenting: Every day is a gift
February 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- The horrific school bus accident in Chesterfield Township, New Jersey has weighed heavily on my mind.
I spoke with many parents on Facebook who said they hugged their children a little tighter after learning of the death of 11-year-old Isabelle Tezsla.
This tragic story gives new meaning to a saying my mother often repeated, "Every day is a gift". I'm reflecting on all the time I wasted worrying and all the times I seemed too busy to sit down and play with the kids.
If we treated every day as if it were the last we shared with our family, what might we do differently?
I read an interesting article called, "Time: The Most Precious Gift."
Carolyn Warnemuende gives some examples of how you can make the most of every day moments with your children. You can start by letting the kids help you cook, and making dinner a special time for conversation.
Many of her ideas were things that I already try to implement in my family but Warnemuende made one point that really hit home.
She said it's important for parents and children to have quiet time so they can come to the family refreshed and ready to interact.
Frankly, that's something I never considered. We're often moving too quickly but perhaps a little quiet time before dinner will make the conversation and time together seem even better.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 17 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
19 min ago