Parenting: Ear Piercing
March 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- My sister wasn't allowed to get her ears pierced until she was 21.
She was engaged to be married by then and it was her future mother-in-law who actually took her! My dad was very conservative.
When my girls started asking about getting their ears pierced, I didn't want to hold them back. Last weekend we decided to do it on a whim.
The girls were thrilled and their earrings look beautiful but I did absolutely no research and went with my gut.
Now that I'm writing this blog, the first thing I learned is that you should do your homework!
Fortunately, my daughters have not had any complications but I found some very sound advice on Parents.com.
I took my daughters to the mall for their piercings, but the website suggests you go to your doctor or a dermatologist.
If you choose an outside location, you should ask how many piercings they do in a day and be sure they take precautions to sterilize the area and wear protective gloves.
I was also surprised to learn that 14k gold may not be the safest option. Apparently sterling silver posts are the least likely to cause an allergic reaction.
I probably should have read a little more before acting impulsively. Hopefully, you'll do your homework before taking your children to be pierced!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 19 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 21 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 30 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 20 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
19 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
21 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
30 min ago