Parenting: Shake up your child's exercise routine
March 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- My 12-year-old son, Jake, is a wonderful athlete. He's played baseball, soccer, basketball, flag football, swimming, biking, golf and snowboarding for years.
This year in 6th grade, he branched out and tried two new sports to expand his horizons: squash and lacrosse.
He debated long and hard about trying them, because it meant not getting to play on teams where he knew he would excel.
In the end, he decided this can be his year to try new things before he settles into the sports he plans to do for the next four years throughout high school. The same goes for his free time.
In the past, he's done a children's triathlon and rock climbing to break things up but this year he mentioned he'd like to try a stair climb.
There was one in Philadelphia on March 24 in Center City for the American Lung Association. It was at the 3 Logan Square Building at 1717 Arch Street and there were 50 stories to walk or run up, that's 1088 steps!
An event like that could be done together, it works a different set of muscles and exposes kids to a whole new set of athletes.
Try to find one or two new ways each season to "break up" your child's exercise regime, assuming they are actively involved in one or two things.
I don't believe in over scheduling children but I do believe in introducing them to different ways to stay healthy, exercise being a key one.
It's part of a lifelong approach to staying fit, eating right, and getting their heart rate up. There's also hiking, kayaking, aerobics, yoga, hip hop classes and many other options.
Try something new with your child. You might find a new activity you love so much you'll want to make it a regular pastime!
monica malpass parenting reports, parenting, monica malpass
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 18 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 47 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice 5 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed