Parenting: Easter baskets made easy
April 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you've seen the prices on Easter baskets at the stores, you know a nice basket starts at $20 and can go up into the hundreds! If you are on a budget, or have several children, that can quickly break the bank. Especially if you add an Easter lunch, outfits for church and Easter cards.
You can still celebrate the holiday and have great fun if you plan ahead and there's no reason to go over budget.
I went on the website called Homemade Gifts Made Easy for some ideas.
One of the first things I loved was the idea of making a homemade basket. You can use a milk jug, cleaned out and cut in half. Decorate and personalize it with your child's name. Add some colorful ribbon from your wrapping paper closet and line it with tissue paper or some shredded paper from your office and you have a colorful "basket."
You can do the same with an empty shoebox or buy a plastic beach bucket at the dollar store. You can use paint, stickers, construction paper cut outs of eggs or whatever you'd like to decorate. Just make it colorful and let some of the decorations stick off the top of the edge to add some excitement. Try white construction paper with pink in the middle to have bunny ears that stick up above the edge of the box, for example. It doesn't have to fit the dimensions of your container&in fact, it's better if it doesn't!
To fill the basket inexpensively, make homemade brownies or cupcakes and decorate them with candies on top. Then you can buy a paperback book, a coloring book and crayons, small toys, a box of microwave popcorn, colorful hair ribbons or shoe laces. Take your pick but only use $5 to buy the goodies. Any dollar store can make this quick and easy!
Fill the rest of the basket with plastic eggs filled with nickels, dimes and quarters or real home-dyed eggs
There's your colorful basket for less than the price of lunch!
monica malpass parenting reports, parenting, monica malpass
- London theater partially collapses during performance 2 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 19 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos