Parenting: Is chivalry actually fair?
April 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- I know I am completely capable of doing most things that the average man can do and I think men and women should be treated equally.
However, having said that, I like that my husband opens a door for me and stands to hold my chair when I sit at the table. It may seem a double standard to some, but I believe in chivalry.
I'm trying to teach my son to be courteous to everyone, and to treat women and elders with special respect and kindness. He is very eager to open the door for his sisters and I saying, "Ladies first". It's so adorable!
He recently told me he wants to be a lady, because it's not fair that no one holds the door for him! I can't really argue with him, perhaps life just isn't fair. Much like the Golden Rule, I explained if he treats girls especially nice, they will treat him kind too. I suppose that's as fair as you can get.
The World English Dictionary defines chivalry as, "The combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, justice and a readiness to help the weak".
I think those are wonderful qualities to teach both our girls and our boys.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 16 min ago
- Record Warmth! 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 6 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 16 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 16 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 3 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
16 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
6 min ago
- Record Warmth!
46 min ago