Parenting: Has Easter gone too far?
April 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- We just celebrated Easter in our house. It's a religious holiday, but if you ask many parents they'll say "Easter" has become the new "Christmas."
It seems the holiday is becoming more commercialized and there's a growing trend to give gifts. Frankly, I was pretty stressed out about the Easter outfits, shoes and baskets. Last week I found myself wondering if I had enough for my children whom, admittedly, already have way too much!
We try not to give the kids a lot of candy, so I was guilty of picking up small gifts to put in their baskets instead. Somehow they seem to expect a little more each year and I always seem to cave in. I'd really like to get back to honoring the reason for the season and straying away from the baskets of goodies.
This year, we made the point to have special family time going to confession, and celebrating Holy Days. We also had a family Easter egg decorating contest and really enjoyed the fun.
Hopefully we'll continue this trend and give a little less in the basket next year.
I found this interesting blog online that helped remind me of the reason to scale back. Frankly, it's just nice to know I'm not the only parents struggling with this issue!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 41 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 13 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 32 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 44 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 54 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
7 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
41 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
32 min ago