Parenting: Has Easter gone too far?
April 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- We just celebrated Easter in our house. It's a religious holiday, but if you ask many parents they'll say "Easter" has become the new "Christmas."
It seems the holiday is becoming more commercialized and there's a growing trend to give gifts. Frankly, I was pretty stressed out about the Easter outfits, shoes and baskets. Last week I found myself wondering if I had enough for my children whom, admittedly, already have way too much!
We try not to give the kids a lot of candy, so I was guilty of picking up small gifts to put in their baskets instead. Somehow they seem to expect a little more each year and I always seem to cave in. I'd really like to get back to honoring the reason for the season and straying away from the baskets of goodies.
This year, we made the point to have special family time going to confession, and celebrating Holy Days. We also had a family Easter egg decorating contest and really enjoyed the fun.
Hopefully we'll continue this trend and give a little less in the basket next year.
I found this interesting blog online that helped remind me of the reason to scale back. Frankly, it's just nice to know I'm not the only parents struggling with this issue!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J. 9 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 35 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch