Parenting: Making Summer Camp Count
May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- My kids are in elementary school. When I look at summer camps, I'm mostly interested in letting them have fun, while learning something a little extra. Our local Parks and Recreation Department have spectacular camps that my kids attend every year. But, I'm discovering that teenagers are expecting much more from camp. There's a growing trend to make summer camp a college building experience.
One of the world leaders in summer camp is right in our backyard. I was impressed to read that students from 40 U.S. states and 35 different countries have come to the Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs, or JKCP. They offer 20 different specialized experiences in everything from sports, arts, science, even high school internships!
A growing trend in summer camps is to offer pre-college experiences that help you select the right college and select the right major. It makes financial sense for parents to help the kids find their right major before they're paying a tuition bill for more than 4 years! JKCP Chief Visionary Officer, Tina Krinsky said, "While some people conjure up camping as cabins and marshmallows, teens at today's programs are looking for networking and iPads."
Whether you're sending your kids to the local parks and recreation, or attending an established camp like JKCP, it's a good idea to think about the goals you'd like your kids to achieve during camp. Perhaps this growing trend can help your young student find their calling!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in New Jersey Turnpike chase 37 min ago
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in 19 min ago
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- Phillies rally for 3-2 over Reds 25 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list