Parenting: Old Fashioned Car Games
June 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Years ago, when we bought our minivan with a DVD player, we decided the kids would only get to watch movies on car rides over an hour.
We liked the idea of keeping them entertained on the long journeys, but we didn't want them to lose their imagination or ability to amuse themselves.
That great idea went out the window two kids ago! Now, when we drive down the street, they want the movie playing. I've decided to take a page from my book and go old school, at least some of the time!
It's sometimes tricky to play a game that all three kids of various ages can enjoy but we find that silly rhyming games are a hit with everyone.
We also like to pick a popular song and change the lyrics. Another "oldie but goodie" are knock-knock jokes. We laugh at my four-year-old's jokes, even though they are rarely funny!
If you're searching for ideas check out the websites below. I had forgotten about rock paper scissors, license plate ID, and twenty questions. They also have a number of ideas to keep you busy on those long car rides!!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 38 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 13 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball