Parenting: Hollywood Role Models
June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- The other day, I was flipping the channels when I came across an entertainment show talking about my daughter's favorite star, Miley Cyrus. They were showing pictures of her scantily clad.
I quickly changed the channel and told my daughter that they weren't saying nice things about Miley so we didn't need to watch.
What do you do when your kids start idolizing Hollywood actresses and singers? More often, they are not the role models I would choose for my kids.
The truth is, the choice is not mine. As my children get older, they develop their own interests and often look up to people who make bad choices.
In our house, we deal with it by trying to limit the exposure the kids have to pop culture. They can watch the Disney TV shows that make these stars famous, but I don't let them buy the magazines that showcase the celebrities and their behavior.
Certainly, my children can hear about it from their friends, or when it makes the news. However, I try my best to send the message that we don't want to dwell on the personal lives of people in Hollywood.
I also think it's important to let the kids know that their father and I idolize real heroes. We often talk about firefighters and police officers who risk their lives every day. We bring the kids out to charity events and let them be a part of the heroic deeds so many organizations foster.
Is that enough? Probably not - I guess I can't keep the kids in a bubble! I can't stop my girls from being interested in pop culture and celebrities that usually fall from grace.
I found a helpful article on Disney Family that suggests instead of hiding the kids from the truth you should use the stories as teaching moments. Talk about the consequences of bad behavior.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 10 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
48 min ago