Parenting: Solutions for bed wetting
June 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Many American children wet the bed each night, making it challenging for parents to keep up with clean pajamas and linens - not to mention embarrassing for your child as they get older.
Experts say it's mostly a matter of physical development and maturity that causes them not to be able to hold it until morning. It's something they'll have to grow out of in other words.
However, there could be other culprits too, ones that you CAN control. Doctors and nurses say processed foods and dairy, including milk, can irritate the lining of the bladder, causing more urine to be produced and released. Foods with coloring and preservatives specifically.
You should avoid feeding your child foods with the five C's: caffeine, carbonation, citrus, chocolate and extra vitamin C. They also tend to increase urine output.
Bread may be another culprit because of a preservative widely used in it: calcium propionate. When the additive is removed from a child's diet they tend to stop bedwetting. Try buying specialty loaves such as French or Italian bread and discourage your children from drinking juice or sodas.
The best way to pinpoint exactly what foods may be causing a problem is to do a three week elimination diet, removing all foods from your child's diet that could be causing bedwetting. You can reintroducing them one at a time and watch the result.
Consult your pediatrician before making any major dietary changes. Of course, there can be dozens of causes of bedwetting. Looking at your child's diet is certainly a legitimate place to start.
You can also get more ideas from Good Nites.
monica malpass parenting reports, parenting, monica malpass
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 2 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 28 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 53 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 42 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos