Parenting: Tween Terrors
July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- We've all heard of the terrible two's, but more and more I'm hearing parents complain about the terrible tweens!
Tweens are defined as children typically between the ages of 8 and 12. That means, I have two tweens in the house now!
I have to admit, I have noticed changes over the past year, but thankfully, have not experienced anything too terrible just yet. I decided to arm myself with a little knowledge before that happens.
I read an interesting article on "WebMD" by Joanne Barker about the mistakes parents make in dealing with tweens. It's suggested that parents shouldn't expect the worst. Richard Lerner, PhD., says "Expecting the worst sets parents and teens up for several unhappy, unsatisfying years together."
Believe it or not, experts say don't read too many parenting books! It's suggested you spend extra time actually talking with your children. Try getting to know them better as young adults and figuring out what matters most to your family.
We see many parents hovering around the kids and making their decisions. However when your child is nearly a teen, experts say it's a good idea to let them make their own choices and deal with the consequences.
Of course, be prepared to step in when your child needs some guidance!
Check out the "5 Mistakes Parents Make With Teens and Tweens" for more information and advice.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 16 min ago
- Record Warmth! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 16 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 16 min ago
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case 16 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother 15 min ago
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 15 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
16 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
16 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school...
16 min ago
- Record Warmth!
7 min ago