Parenting: Potty training accidents
July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- My preschool age son was by far the easiest child to potty train. One day, at an early age he declared he wasn't going to wear diapers any more - and he never did!
I wasn't even in town when it happened! My husband was about to drive me to the airport for "Dancing with the Stars" and my little guy wouldn't put his diaper on. Even though my husband had a busy schedule, my son didn't have an accident for days.
Now we fast forward nearly two years and he seems to regress at times. If he's busy playing, he will simply go the bathroom in his pants. He doesn't seem to care in the least bit!
When I admonish him, he looks at me and says, "It will dry Mommy." I've been pulling my hair out and apparently handling it all wrong.
On the website Aha Parenting, Dr. Laura says there is a lot of data showing that disciplining your child for potty training accidents actually encourages more accidents! She says this can quickly become a power struggle with your child.
Dr. Laura suggests being patient and encouraging movement in the right direction while reminding your child that they have to stop playing in enough time to make it to the bathroom.
I'm going to try this at home and hope it provides a little peace!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst 12 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos