Parenting: Potty training accidents
July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- My preschool age son was by far the easiest child to potty train. One day, at an early age he declared he wasn't going to wear diapers any more - and he never did!
I wasn't even in town when it happened! My husband was about to drive me to the airport for "Dancing with the Stars" and my little guy wouldn't put his diaper on. Even though my husband had a busy schedule, my son didn't have an accident for days.
Now we fast forward nearly two years and he seems to regress at times. If he's busy playing, he will simply go the bathroom in his pants. He doesn't seem to care in the least bit!
When I admonish him, he looks at me and says, "It will dry Mommy." I've been pulling my hair out and apparently handling it all wrong.
On the website Aha Parenting, Dr. Laura says there is a lot of data showing that disciplining your child for potty training accidents actually encourages more accidents! She says this can quickly become a power struggle with your child.
Dr. Laura suggests being patient and encouraging movement in the right direction while reminding your child that they have to stop playing in enough time to make it to the bathroom.
I'm going to try this at home and hope it provides a little peace!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 32 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
4 min ago