Parenting: Popeye the Sailor Man was right
August 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Remember the children's cartoon from way back, Popeye the Sailor Man? He always ate spinach straight from the can to get the iron for his big muscles.
Turns out, we should be doing the same for our children. According to pediatricians more and more kids ages 1 to 3 are not getting enough iron.
Little ones need 7 milligrams a day. Their bodies use iron to make red blood cells which deliver oxygen throughout the body.
If they're low on red blood cells, that can cause growth deficiencies, learning problems and behavior issues.
Most pediatricians check a toddler's iron levels with a simple blood test between ages 6 months and 18 months. If your doctor hasn't done this yet, ask for it.
This is especially important if your child is overweight. The child may be eating a lot, but very little food that contains iron.
Symptoms of iron deficiency include: anemia, pale skin, fatigue, frequent headaches, dizziness, irritability, cold hands and feet.
Your pediatrician may suggest an iron supplement in the form of drops, cutting back on milk so your child is more likely to eat foods with iron, and varying their diet more.
What iron-rich foods might be a hit with kids? There are two kinds heme iron and non-heme iron - both types are worth eating.
Heme iron which is the most easily absorbed, is found in meat. Some heme iron foods include:
Some children don't like meat so there's also the non-heme iron found in plants. Some non-heme iron foods include:
My toddlers need more iron in their diets. So I'm upping the meats and lowering the milk. I may even try sneaking some pureed kale in our next batch of brownies.
Let's make it a healthier summer.
monica malpass parenting reports, parenting, monica malpass
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police