Parenting: Is school too easy?
August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- That is what a public policy research organization says it has found. And from a surprising source: the children themselves.
The Center for American Progress analyzed questionnaires from the "Nation's Report Card" surveys over the last three years. The researchers keyed in on data from children in the fourth, eighth and 12th grades. And what they found was school just doesn't seem to be all that challenging.
You can read a summary of the report, or download it for yourself, by clicking here.
Beyond the ease of schoolwork, the children also say there just isn't all that much of it. In particular, they say they aren't given large reading or writing assignments.
The researchers add this: "&given overall low reading scores - and the degree to which more reading promotes more learning - we believe these results should be cause for alarm."
CAP offers this advice: administrators should seek higher standards for children, address these problems as a nation, and seek even more information through student surveys.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 59 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 14 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 7 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 21 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 51 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
59 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
21 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
51 min ago