Parenting: Is school too easy?
August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- That is what a public policy research organization says it has found. And from a surprising source: the children themselves.
The Center for American Progress analyzed questionnaires from the "Nation's Report Card" surveys over the last three years. The researchers keyed in on data from children in the fourth, eighth and 12th grades. And what they found was school just doesn't seem to be all that challenging.
You can read a summary of the report, or download it for yourself, by clicking here.
Beyond the ease of schoolwork, the children also say there just isn't all that much of it. In particular, they say they aren't given large reading or writing assignments.
The researchers add this: "&given overall low reading scores - and the degree to which more reading promotes more learning - we believe these results should be cause for alarm."
CAP offers this advice: administrators should seek higher standards for children, address these problems as a nation, and seek even more information through student surveys.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 3 min ago
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 29 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 50 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Upping Saturday's snowfall projections
6 min ago