Parenting: Adjusting to a new school
August 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- My younger daughter is moving into a new school this year. She seems very excited but I know when the first day approaches, there will be some extra nerves.
I'm sure it's worse for others who are moving to a new school, without knowing anyone. There are some great resources to help you prepare your child for a new school.
Check out Education.com for "8 Tips to help Your Child Adjust to a New School."
Psychotherapist Dr. Karen Hoving, says try making a play date with any children you know who are going to the new school. It's important to maintain ties with old friends as you branch out and make new friends.
Hoving says a lot of the pressure does fall on the parents. It will help your child if you can volunteer at the school and make it more of a family event.
Be sure to do your part to stay in touch with teachers through their websites or parent emails.
Talk with your child about the transition and be sure to ask for help. School counselors and psychologists can be a great resource that people often forget is at their disposal.
Hoving reminds us that the teacher is our ally. You can nip any problems in the bud by staying in close contact with the person who spends all day with your child!
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 30 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 14 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 34 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 34 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 34 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
30 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
34 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
34 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos