Parenting: Is school too easy?
August 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Is school too easy? That's what a public policy research organization says it has found. The information comes from a surprising source: the children themselves.
The Center for American Progress analyzed questionnaires from the "Nation's Report Card" surveys over the last three years. The researchers looked closely at data from children in the fourth, eighth and 12th grades.
What they found was that school just doesn't seem to be all that challenging. You can read a summary of the report, or download it for yourself, by going here.
Beyond the ease of schoolwork, the children also say there just isn't that much of it. In particular, they say they aren't given large reading or writing assignments.
The researchers add this: "given overall low reading scores - and the degree to which more reading promotes more learning - we believe these results should be cause for alarm."
CAP offers this advice: administrators should seek higher standards for children, address these problems as a nation, and seek even more information through student surveys.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Snow today, heavy at times 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 30 min ago
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house 19 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
31 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens...
30 min ago