Parenting: Is school too easy?
August 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Is school too easy? That's what a public policy research organization says it has found. The information comes from a surprising source: the children themselves.
The Center for American Progress analyzed questionnaires from the "Nation's Report Card" surveys over the last three years. The researchers looked closely at data from children in the fourth, eighth and 12th grades.
What they found was that school just doesn't seem to be all that challenging. You can read a summary of the report, or download it for yourself, by going here.
Beyond the ease of schoolwork, the children also say there just isn't that much of it. In particular, they say they aren't given large reading or writing assignments.
The researchers add this: "given overall low reading scores - and the degree to which more reading promotes more learning - we believe these results should be cause for alarm."
CAP offers this advice: administrators should seek higher standards for children, address these problems as a nation, and seek even more information through student surveys.
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 2 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos