Parenting: Study claims children spend too fast
September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- The results of this study will have you wondering if we are spoiling are children with money. It will perhaps have you wondering more if we are failing to teach our children simple lessons in finance.
The American Institute of CPA's (representing the accountants who are probably trying to get Americans to save a little more, and spend a little less) conducted a national phone survey of parents.
The researchers found that children make some serious coin when it comes to their weekly allowance. An average allowance can provide "a child enough money in a year to afford an Apple iPad and three Kindles and still have money left over."
The AICPA says the average allowance totals $780 per year, or $65 per month, or $16.25 per week. Nearly half of the parents who responded to the survey also shell out extra dough for good grades. The AICPA says the going rate for an A is $16.60.
Here's the catch: the children tend to take the money and go on an immediate spending spree. There was very little left over.
This may come across as children just being children, not understanding the virtues of saving their dollars. It could also be troubling to you, given what has happened to so many people in recent times. There are people who didn't save anything, while at the same time going off spending money they didn't have.
Factor in the current ultra-low interest rates at your bank that may actually penalize people who save money, (they technically lose a small portion of what they save because inflation rates are higher) and you might go ahead and say "I can't blame them."
Whatever the case may be for you, the AICPA thinks children need to understand that there should be limits to spending and should be encouraged to save.
Here are some parental tips the group posted on the AICPA website:
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 24 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 52 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 12 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 19 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 25 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos