Back to School: Helping kids change schools
September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- It is crunch time now for many kids ad summer break ends. Students will be heading back to school and due to some schools closing or just moving up in grades, many students will be going to a new school this year.
Although some local students and parents took the news tough that their school would close, school psychologist Anne Marie Borneman says now is the time for parents to be positive.
"If parents are comfortable and confident that the school year will go successfully, that the transition will go smoothly, children will model that behavior," Borneman says.
She adds that although it can be tough at first, change is a part of life and can be a good thing.
"Transitioning can help kids build resilience and resilience is the ability to be flexible, to enter new situations positively and persevere when times get tough."
She says most kids will adjust without problems, but parents should try to be more available the first few weeks and also look for signs of trouble including: difficulty sleeping, change in eating habits, or kids not wanting to go to school in the morning on a consistent basis.
These could be signs your child is not adjusting well according to Borneman. If this happens she advises that you talk to your child's teacher.
"Schools want the same thing parents want for their kids: For students to be happy and comfortable; to be ready to learn and have a successful school year."
Another way to help is for parents to share an experience they had with change, whether you changed schools or jobs or moved to a new city. Telling your kids about how you faced change and got through it will help them to do the same.
6at4, education, children, parenting, ali gorman, r.n.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 12 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 41 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 40 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer 38 min ago
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car 37 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI 44 min ago
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 35 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 48 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
45 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
12 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
41 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
48 min ago