Back to School: Helping kids change schools
September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- It is crunch time now for many kids ad summer break ends. Students will be heading back to school and due to some schools closing or just moving up in grades, many students will be going to a new school this year.
Although some local students and parents took the news tough that their school would close, school psychologist Anne Marie Borneman says now is the time for parents to be positive.
"If parents are comfortable and confident that the school year will go successfully, that the transition will go smoothly, children will model that behavior," Borneman says.
She adds that although it can be tough at first, change is a part of life and can be a good thing.
"Transitioning can help kids build resilience and resilience is the ability to be flexible, to enter new situations positively and persevere when times get tough."
She says most kids will adjust without problems, but parents should try to be more available the first few weeks and also look for signs of trouble including: difficulty sleeping, change in eating habits, or kids not wanting to go to school in the morning on a consistent basis.
These could be signs your child is not adjusting well according to Borneman. If this happens she advises that you talk to your child's teacher.
"Schools want the same thing parents want for their kids: For students to be happy and comfortable; to be ready to learn and have a successful school year."
Another way to help is for parents to share an experience they had with change, whether you changed schools or jobs or moved to a new city. Telling your kids about how you faced change and got through it will help them to do the same.
6at4, education, children, parenting, ali gorman, r.n.
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 48 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 50 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 54 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 56 min ago
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield 31 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 52 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
48 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
50 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for...
54 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
22 min ago