Parenting: When to lose the training wheels
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- In this Parenting Perspective, we take a look at reaching that childhood milestone of biking without training wheels.
How do you know your child is ready, and what is the best way to make that transition?
Seven-year-old Ben Edlitz has mastered riding his Spiderman bike, and he's more than happy to brag a little.
"It took me two days to ride my bike without training wheels," he told Action News.
Lee Rogers of South Street's Bicycle Therapy says there's no special age at which children can lose the training wheels. Parents need to look for signs that their children have enough balance and control on the bike.
Rodgers says first make sure your child's bike is the right size. Your child should be able to stand with both feet flat on the ground and still have at least an inch of clearance between the top tube and their inseam.
Then, when you take off the training wheels, also take off the pedals. That way your child can first learn to glide.
By pushing your child from his or her shoulders you can keep your hands close in case your child starts falling.
Once he or she has mastered gliding, put the pedals on and have your child follow you while you 1run just an arm's distance way.
Another option is to make your child's first bike a "glider bike", one that doesn't have pedals at all
Home video shows 3-year-old Dylan Ickes already developing good balance.
His little sister, Delany, learned the same way. She was happily pedaling on her bike without training wheels by age 3 1/2. Read more Parenting Perspective blogs by visiting the Parenting Channel on 6abc.com.
cecily tynan parenting reports, parenting, cecily tynan
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire 39 min ago
- Windy And Cool 42 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore 55 min ago
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend 5 min ago
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila....
39 min ago
- Windy And Cool
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos