Parenting: Tips for homework
September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- My girls went back to school last week and now the great homework battle can get back into full swing!
My older daughter does her homework quickly, efficiently and with little complaining. That makes up for my younger daughter who turns a few pages of homework into an all night battle.
Often times, my daughter complains for 30 minutes, even though the actual homework can be done in 15! I think I really need to get her to streamline the process. If she stopped dwelling on it and sat down quickly, she could be off and playing before she knew it.
I don't like bribing the kids, but I have to say I'm tempted. When I browsed online, on Yahoo Voices, I found one idea that seemed appealing. They suggested that you let you children watch a special show, but only if they finish their homework before it starts.
I don't want her finishing in haste, so I'd have to check it carefully but, this might be a good way to limit the wining.
I also learned a lot in reading, "Let's Talk about Homework", by Marie Hartwell-Walker,ED.D. She suggested that you set a routine and stick to the same time and place each day. It's important to help your child be organized and have all her supplies and resources in reach.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 58 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 57 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos