Parenting: Middle child syndrome
October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- We have three children and are acutely aware of the differences among them. However lately, I have felt that our middle child needs a little more attention.
If they only knew how completely I love and respect each of them. There are times I think sharing our attention, can be tricky though.
Inevitably, a lot of focus is on the older one who is forging through unchartered territory in our family and the youngest who needs our attention simply so he doesn't get hurt!
Where does that leave my wonderful second daughter and what can I do about it?
I found an interesting article in birth order on Parents.com that offered great insight into what the birth order means for each child.
I read also read an article on HealthGuidance.org that frankly frightened me. Elizabeth Danish wrote that some of the characteristics of a middle child include loneliness, emptiness and low self esteem.
It broke my heart to think that my daughter might be so negatively affected by our struggle to care for three different children.
According to Danish, a possible solution is simply to recognize that the middle child may not be getting enough attention. It's important that your middle child know that their feelings matter and their voice is heard.
Spending quality one on one time could be a simple solution and it's something we already try to do in our home. After reading these articles, I'm going to increase the amount of time we spend with our middle child and be sure she's getting just as much attention as the others.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 5 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 27 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 32 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 43 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
38 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
5 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
27 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos