Parenting: Middle child syndrome
October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- We have three children and are acutely aware of the differences among them. However lately, I have felt that our middle child needs a little more attention.
If they only knew how completely I love and respect each of them. There are times I think sharing our attention, can be tricky though.
Inevitably, a lot of focus is on the older one who is forging through unchartered territory in our family and the youngest who needs our attention simply so he doesn't get hurt!
Where does that leave my wonderful second daughter and what can I do about it?
I found an interesting article in birth order on Parents.com that offered great insight into what the birth order means for each child.
I read also read an article on HealthGuidance.org that frankly frightened me. Elizabeth Danish wrote that some of the characteristics of a middle child include loneliness, emptiness and low self esteem.
It broke my heart to think that my daughter might be so negatively affected by our struggle to care for three different children.
According to Danish, a possible solution is simply to recognize that the middle child may not be getting enough attention. It's important that your middle child know that their feelings matter and their voice is heard.
Spending quality one on one time could be a simple solution and it's something we already try to do in our home. After reading these articles, I'm going to increase the amount of time we spend with our middle child and be sure she's getting just as much attention as the others.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos