Parenting: Meet an Author
October 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- I've written in this space before about kid's books and authors. In one blog, I described the difficulty in bringing a new children's book to press when the shelves are already crowded with so many classics. I've also featured the occasional local author and their book as examples of those who do manage to break through.
This time, I'm taking the subject a step further. If you have a child who's taking to reading and enjoying it, they might also be interested in moving a step beyond the book and meeting an actual author. That chance is available to you and your young reader on Wednesday night (October 10, 2012).
The Voorhees Regional Branch of the Camden County Library System (Vogelson Public Library, 203 Laurel Road in Voorhees 08043), is hosting "An Evening with Local Authors." It's a meet-and-greet and book-signing event on Wednesday evening from 7:00pm until 8:30pm.
Featured will be 41 area writers, some of them supporting adult titles, but others who've published books for teenagers, tweens and young kids.
Among those poised to say hello are Jo Denise Miller whose children's titles include Buddy's Rainy Day and What's Wrong, Buddy? The books involve the writer's pet Chihuahua who will also make an appearance.
Younger readers can also chat with Turnersville, New Jersey's Evelyn Arena Galson, whose recently published The Unhappy Spud. Her book follows the tale of a potato with a secret who asks everyone else in the garden for advice. As it turns out, someone ends up "going public" with the private information in a way that could cause trouble (darn, that obnoxious cucumber!).
Among the others in attendance: Shirley O'Neill (Leapy), Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen (Chicks Run Wild) and Annette Reiter (Parenting an Athlete).
The event itself is free. The authors are selling and signing copies of their books. The library notes that any sales are strictly between writer and buyer and that the library is not making any money from the event.
david murphy parenting reports, parenting, david murphy
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!