Parenting: Installing child car safety seats
October 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's something every parent must know, but many do not: the correct way to install a child's car safety seat.
Our baby, Sabine, just turned five months old, but it seems like yesterday we brought her home from the hospital.
Back in May, we put Sabine in her car seat to drive her home. And I'm so glad that BEFORE she arrived, I got to meet with a federally certified car seat technician.
"First of all, your seat belt is twisted and it can't be twisted," said Y'vette Gayle. "It has to lie perfectly flat and straight. Also, it's a little looser than it should be, so we're going to get it nice and tight."
Y'vette made sure the seat belt strapping in the car seat was locked and the seat itself was secure.
Keep a child rear-facing until the age of two.
"The center is the safest," said Y'vette, "but it's simply because it's furthest from any kind of impact."
But the center position isn't an option in all vehicles, so check your owner manual.
Y'vette also showed me how to properly strap a baby into a seat. The chest clip should be at armpit level, and the harness should be snug.
Also, no after-market, unregulated parts should be in or on the car seat or in your vehicle. That means no mirrors or toys, and no signs or sun shades.
"If those suction cups were to fall off, this could injure someone riding in the vehicle," said Y'vette.
No pads or pillows in the seat either. If your baby needs a better fit, roll up receiving blankets and place them along the outside of the child's body.
And since every car seat and vehicle is different, it's good to make an appointment with a federally certified technician like Y'vette.
"And you can go to seatcheck.org, put in your zip code and it will tell you who are the closet qualified people to you," said AAA's Jenny Robinson.
On October 15th, Pennsylvania Hospital Postpartum Nurses are hosting a car seat inspection station. For an appointment, call 215-829-5403.
children, automobiles, parenting, nydia han
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 25-year-old man shot dead in North Philadelphia 53 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville
- Pa. primary will settle municipal, judicial, races 1 min ago
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Surveillance of man stealing tractor in Franklin Township 5 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder