Parenting: Fall Family Fun
October 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Last week's dreary, wet weather had us cooped up in the house for days. Now, we are all itching to enjoy the outdoors.
Frankly our weekends get a little too booked, so I found myself pulling out the calendar to schedule some family play dates.
First up, we're hitting the pumpkin patch. Every year the kids take a hay ride and pick their pumpkin.
This year, we're going to add apple picking to the list. It's a fun way to get the kids outdoors and support our local farms.
Now that my girls are getting older, they want to experience some of the spookier Halloween outings. Dad is in charge of taking them to a haunted house.
I also went online to Parenting.com to find some new ideas.
Here's one that I would have never thought of on my own. I use to love to jump in piles of leaves when I was young. We frankly don't have enough trees to do that at home!
Parenting.com suggests enjoying this simple, old fashioned pastime by grabbing a rake and visiting a local park to let the kids have a blast. Leaves are starting to change, so you can enjoy the scenery while you're at it!
One more idea, head out for a hike. Bring a little bag to collect some signs of nature and a picnic to make it a nice afternoon.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 48 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish