N.J. Lawmakers keep double dipping
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - March 24, 2008 -- A new law is doing little to keep New Jersey lawmakers from doubling up their elected duties and the salaries and benefits that go with them.
Governor Corzine signed a ban on dual-office holding in September.
Since then, the number of lawmakers who hold more than one office has actually increased - from 17 to 19.
That's according to a report by The Star-Ledger of Newark.
The reason is that a grandfather clause allows any lawmaker holding two offices as of February 1st to keep both positions.
Several new legislators who won their seats in November decided to keep their local posts while they still could.
Dana Redd, D-Camden - Councilwoman, Camden
Nicholas Sacco, D-Hudson - Mayor, North Bergen
Paul Sarlo, D-Bergen - Mayor, Wood-Ridge
Robert Singer, R-Ocean - Committeeman, Lakewood
Brian Stack, D-Hudson - Mayor, Union City
Stephen Sweeney, D-Gloucester - Freeholder, Gloucester County
John Burzichelli, D-Gloucester - Mayor, Paulsboro
Ralph Caputo, D-Essex - Freeholder, Essex County
Anthony Chiappone, D-Hudson - Councilman, Bayonnel Ronald Dancer, R-Ocean - Mayor, Plumsted Township
Joseph Egan, D-Middlesex - Councilman, New Brunswick
Elease Evans, D-Passaic - Freeholder, Passaic County
John McKeon, D-Essex - Mayor, West Orange
Paul Moriarty, D-Gloucester - Mayor, Washington
Ruben Ramos, D-Hudson - Councilman, Hoboken
Scott Rumana, R-Bergen - Mayor, Wayne
Gary Schaer, D-Passaic - Councilman, Passaic
Daniel Van Pelt, R-Ocean - Mayor, Ocean Township
Joseph Vas, D-Middlesex - Mayor, Perth Amboy
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore