Block party for Obama
CENTER CITY - November 3, 2008 - (WPVI) -- In Philadelphia, some of the biggest names in hip hop worked to energize people to get out and vote.
The McCain campaign has been working hard over the past few days to turn the tide in Pennsylvania. Monday, the Obama campaign responded by rolling out some big names to rally the base.
"Do you hear me Philly? It is time to do something different. It is time for change," said singer Mary J. Blige.
Blige, Jay-Z, and Sean "Diddy" Combs, some of the biggest names on the hip-hop scene, have been travelling the country encouraging people to get out and vote.
Barack Obama needs a big turnout in Philadelphia to win Pennsylvania.
"John McCain desperately needs Philadelphia, but you can tell him 'You cannot have Pennsylvania,'" said Jay-Z.
But McCain does have a chance to win Pennsylvania's 21 electoral votes, if voter turnout is low in urban centers like Philadelphia.
The star-studded cast of this block rally is determined to make sure that doesn't happen.
They're working hard to get new voters to the polls.
"It's about the youth vote, it's about the long lines and getting them prepared. The youth vote will decide the next president of the United States," said Sean "Diddy" Combs. "They said we wouldn't come out, they said we wouldn't vote, but we're going to shock the world tomorrow."
An unexpected guest also made an appearance. Jay Z's wife, Beyonce Knowles helped work the crowd.
"I'm so proud of our young people, this is so huge," said Beyonce. "It's all about diversity and unity and Obama for change!"
And that is the mantra that has energized this crowd: Change.
"I think it's important that we all get out and vote. We can't let another Republican get another turn, we've got to get a Democrat in there," said Raz Williams of North Philadelphia.
Change is coming one way or the other, Obama or McCain. Was today's big name rally enough to blunt McCain's all out push in Pennsylvania? We'll see on Tuesday.
inside politics, david henry
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 38 min ago
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp. 37 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 25 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7 19 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
38 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
37 min ago