Getting ready for Inaugural Balls
BALA CYNWYD, Pa. - January 19, 2009 - (WPVI) -- There will be dozens of inaugural balls all around the nation's capital Tuesday night, after Barack Obama is sworn-in as president.
The presidential inaugural committee endorses 10 of them, and six will be held at the convention center.
Wanda Smith was one of the dozens in line Monday afternoon to pick up tickets to one of the inaugural balls. She plans to primp some six hours for the big event.
"I am going to wear a black gown with maybe some rhinestones in my ears and around my neck," Smith said.
We also ran into Yashika Mabry of Wilmington, Delaware, who was excited to tell us what she'll be wearing.
"I have a dark blue halter dress with a nice little train in the back. It's beautiful!" Mabry said.
Of course, everyone will be watching to see what Michelle Obama wears tomorrow night. Lisa Korn is a personal shopper at the Saks Fifth Avenue in Bala Cynwyd. She assembled for us a collection of colorful gowns, all by American designers, and perfect for the new first lady.
"It should be refined, it should be elegant and today it should be modest. With the world situation, I think modesty is the new luxury," Korn said.
What about the men? Nithin Shaw showed up to pick up his tickets with his rented tux in hand.
inside politics, sarah bloomquist
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
- Winds Ease Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault 8 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 36 min ago
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests