Getting ready for Inaugural Balls
BALA CYNWYD, Pa. - January 19, 2009 - (WPVI) -- There will be dozens of inaugural balls all around the nation's capital Tuesday night, after Barack Obama is sworn-in as president.
The presidential inaugural committee endorses 10 of them, and six will be held at the convention center.
Wanda Smith was one of the dozens in line Monday afternoon to pick up tickets to one of the inaugural balls. She plans to primp some six hours for the big event.
"I am going to wear a black gown with maybe some rhinestones in my ears and around my neck," Smith said.
We also ran into Yashika Mabry of Wilmington, Delaware, who was excited to tell us what she'll be wearing.
"I have a dark blue halter dress with a nice little train in the back. It's beautiful!" Mabry said.
Of course, everyone will be watching to see what Michelle Obama wears tomorrow night. Lisa Korn is a personal shopper at the Saks Fifth Avenue in Bala Cynwyd. She assembled for us a collection of colorful gowns, all by American designers, and perfect for the new first lady.
"It should be refined, it should be elegant and today it should be modest. With the world situation, I think modesty is the new luxury," Korn said.
What about the men? Nithin Shaw showed up to pick up his tickets with his rented tux in hand.
inside politics, sarah bloomquist
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 58 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 57 min ago