Getting ready for Inaugural Balls
BALA CYNWYD, Pa. - January 19, 2009 - (WPVI) -- There will be dozens of inaugural balls all around the nation's capital Tuesday night, after Barack Obama is sworn-in as president.
The presidential inaugural committee endorses 10 of them, and six will be held at the convention center.
Wanda Smith was one of the dozens in line Monday afternoon to pick up tickets to one of the inaugural balls. She plans to primp some six hours for the big event.
"I am going to wear a black gown with maybe some rhinestones in my ears and around my neck," Smith said.
We also ran into Yashika Mabry of Wilmington, Delaware, who was excited to tell us what she'll be wearing.
"I have a dark blue halter dress with a nice little train in the back. It's beautiful!" Mabry said.
Of course, everyone will be watching to see what Michelle Obama wears tomorrow night. Lisa Korn is a personal shopper at the Saks Fifth Avenue in Bala Cynwyd. She assembled for us a collection of colorful gowns, all by American designers, and perfect for the new first lady.
"It should be refined, it should be elegant and today it should be modest. With the world situation, I think modesty is the new luxury," Korn said.
What about the men? Nithin Shaw showed up to pick up his tickets with his rented tux in hand.
inside politics, sarah bloomquist
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash