Fumo is inmate #62033-066
SPRING GARDEN - August 31, 2009 (WPVI) -- Convicted former state Sen. Vincent Fumo of Philadelphia was locked up on Monday.
RELATED SLIDESHOW: Vince Fumo reports to prison
Fumo reported to the low security Ashland Federal Correctional Institution in Kentucky to begin serving his sentence.
The former Pennsylvania state senator was convicted in March of 137 counts of defrauding the state senate, a South Philadelphia non-profit, and a museum of millions of dollars.
He was sentenced to 55 months in prison. Fumo is also ordered to pay $2 million in restitution and $411,000 in fines.
Fumo maintains his innocence.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons' website shows Fumo has been assigned an inmate ID: 62033-066.
RELATED LINK: Fumo listing on Federal Bureau of Prisons website
Ashland, Kentucky is 527 miles from Philadelphia. It takes about eight hours and 27 minutes to drive there.
As Fumo starts his time, so does one of his former top aides. Ruth Arnao, who ran Fumo's Citizen's Alliance community organization in South Philadelphia, was sentenced to one year and one day after a jury convicted her of 45 counts of conspiracy, fraud and obstruction of justice.
The government is appealing the sentence of both Arnao and Fumo, believing they deserve more time behind bars.
Fumo's sentence is well under the guideline range of about 10 to 12 years.
As for what Fumo can expect now that he is behind bars, Action News spoked to former city councilman Jimmy Tayoun who spent three years in jail.
Tayoun said the first stop is the arrival room, where they strip you down, take your belongings, and you become like every other inmate.
"He'll be feeling really depressed, not a powerful person anymore. He can't do anything except "Yes sir, no sir," stand up, sit down, go where they tell him," Tayoun said.
Though Tayoun admits people do look at you differently afterwards, he says Fumo will come out okay if he keeps his head down.
"If he can keep his ego down and realize he's a zero, not Vince Fumo, he'll let along very well," said Tayoun.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
vince fumo, inside politics
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 35 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ