Geithner: Bank fee to recoup AIG bonuses
WASHINGTON - February 3, 2010 -- FIRST LINETreasury Secretary Tim Geithner says Congress can recoup "outrageous" bonuses for AIG employees through a new bank fee in President Barack Obama's proposed budget.
American International Group Inc. is set to pay out about $100 million in a fresh round of bonuses to employees. Geithner called the bonuses, which were negotiated years ago, an "outrageous failure of policy."
Geithner on Wednesday asked the House Ways and Means Committee to support the new fee as a way of getting the money back. The fee, which would be assessed on certain liabilities of the largest firms in the financial sector, would raise about $90 billion over the next decade.
timothy geithner, inside politics
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 38 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 22 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 42 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 42 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 42 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
38 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
42 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
42 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
28 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos