Judge says she'll approve SC gov's divorce
CHARLESTON, S.C. - February 26, 2010 -- A judge says she'll grant South Carolina's first lady a divorce from the governor who called his Argentine mistress his soul mate.
A family court judge in Charleston on Friday said she'll approve Jenny Sanford's request to split from Gov. Mark Sanford, her husband of 20 years. It will become official in mid-March.
The first lady filed for divorce in December. She said reconciliation efforts were unsuccessful after her husband disappeared for five days last summer. He returned to publicly confess a yearlong affair with the Argentine woman.
Sanford is the first sitting South Carolina governor to divorce. In December, he also became the first governor censured by state lawmakers.
Jenny Sanford has written a memoir and is living with the couple's four sons.
south carolina, mark sanford, inside politics
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 8 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 45 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 23 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 49 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 52 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 56 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 31 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 18 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 51 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
8 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
3 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
23 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card...
49 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos