Former Eagle Runyan now playing vs. Adler on political field
June 9, 2010 (WPVI) -- Results from the New Jersey Primary are in -- and former Philadelphia Eagles lineman Jon Runyan has won the first political victory of his career. Runyan, a Republican, will try to oust Democrat John Adler in the November election.
At 6'7" tall and 315 pounds, Jon Runyan is an imposing figure and was menacing on the football field. Now he'd like to cast a big shadow in Washington, D.C. representing New Jersey's 3rd Congressional District. The former Eagle captured the GOP nomination for Congress with 59% of the vote, pitching that his his lack of political experience is a good thing.
"Yes, I have no experience in raising taxes," Runyan said the day after his win.
Runyan's opponent is first-term Democratic Congressman John Adler who was back in Washington, D.C. following his easy win in Tuesday's primary. He was swept into office, in the mostly Republican district, two years ago. Adler felt the coattail effect of President Barack Obama's New Jersey win, but now faces an anti-incumbent climate.
Congressman Adler did buck the Democratic tide by voting against the Obama health care bill. He called it too expensive. Runyan says it was a calculated political move.
On the heels of his primary win, Runyan said Wednesday that if elected, he would serve no more than 8 years. Meanwhile, Adler challenged his opponent to debate him early and often. Runyan says he's OK with that.
If the race comes down to money, John Adler is well ahead of Runyan with a cash-on-hand war chest of $1.8 million to Runyan's $135,000. Some believe Adler will need every penny to steer his campaign through the anti-incumbent waters of the 2010 election cycle.
new jersey, jon runyan, rep. john adler, republicans, democrats, inside politics, cathy gandolfo
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 39 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville 1 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 19 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 35 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
39 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
1 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
19 min ago